Trayden

Trayden

Beckham

Beckham

My One and Only

My One and Only

"Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible. It cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any other material possession ever could."

Sunday, September 19, 2010

DO NOT USE OIL-BASED PRIMER!

SO my week included: 2 trips to the Doctors office, one almost trip to the hospital, more than 4 phone conversations with poison control (we are on a first name basis), my husband almost passing out from paint OD, and... well that actually sums it all up. Yeah boo for me!

Explanation:
I ventured into the MD's office feeling normal and came out feeling panicked. Turns out I am dilated to a 2 and 75% effaced. WHAT the??? How did that happen. It is not really that big of a deal just a shocker since I didn't progress very quickly with Tray and I was not expecting that. She instructed me to take it easy (YEA) and James was in the room so he knew I was not just making it up. No long trips out, no walking around, no working out, and no lifting Tray if I can avoid it. This sounded great, I added that laundry and cleaning would probably be harmful and slipped her a $20. She just didn't want this little guy coming b/f 37 weeks. So I was enjoying my laziness and then about 3 days later I was carrying Tray (I know- I disobeyed Doctors orders) and tripped on his dang dump truck and fell right on my belly. We both went down and the poor little guy prob broke my fall, thanks Tray and sorry Tray. I am no little pregnant woman these days. We both laid there crying for a min. It was sad. I think Tray was freaked out to see me so upset so he cried for a min then said, "Mommy I need clean up my dump truck." With that he picked up all his toys and put them away. It like seriously melted my heart. He kept saying, "I sorry Mommy" followed by "Mommy need go to Docten- make all betten"

YES!! That is a good idea. Off the the doc we went. Then after waiting an hour-I sure hope there was no immediate action to be taken. The Doc tells me the office should have sent me straight to the hospital. Great. By now it was about 6:30 and Tray and I just had a good 30 min cry and were starving. I was in no mood to truck it to the hospital. He goes on the tell me that since I am RH- if the babies blood comes in contact with mine my body will start attacking it as a foreign object and it can be fatal. I was aware of my blood type and that possibility but at this point I was kinda freaking out. Long story short. After a ultrasound the baby seemed fine and his heart rate was not elevated so he said take it extra easy (be more lazy) and make sure he is moving every hour. So it turned out fine, the baby was fine and moving. No big deal but dang it sure made for one dramatic night for Tray, I and the baby.

So then the next night we decide James should get started on the rooms- painting them. I have told him a thousand times if the baby comes and the rooms are not done I will be very stressed out and resentful towards the yard. Poor guy. I have been a slave driver. So under this intense pressure he paints the rooms with this fancy new sprayer we got. I pack up and head to his parents house for the night bc I have been warned how dangerous it is for me to be around it. James gets painting the primer which is a oil based primer. I get a phone call from him at around 10:00 that goes something like this.

Me: Hey babe
James: (talking slower than normal) I think I am high.
Me: what? Are you okay? Did you wear a mask?
James: Yeah but I have never felt like this. It is miserable. I had to keep leaving the room to take breaks b/c I felt like I was going to pass out. I really think I am high.
Me: Well stop painting. Are you okay now?
James: I just sat in front of the comp for like 20 min just staring at the screen. I couldn't even remember why I got on there. I really think I am high. I feel miserable.

With that being said I was a little concerned but relieved that if he in fact was high that he did not enjoy it and I don't have to worry about him becoming a druggie anytime soon.
Fast forward 6 hours and I find him on the couch at 5 am at his parents house. Ummmm? Turns out he went back in there for another couple of hours to finish up. About passed out, about drove himself to the hospital, but decided to drive to his parents instead. I told him he was lucky he didn't get a DUI or die. So the next day he had a massive headache and was feeling like crap. I was worried out of my mind.
I went home and was worried about the smell and my hubby so I called Poison control. She has me tell her that type of paint we used and said it had been linked to some birth defects in pregnancy and to leave ASAP! Another freak out moment. SO Tray and I are driving around with no where to go and it sucks. She also mentions how dangerous oil based primer is and a little cloth mask prob did nothing. She was all worried about James and said he was so lucky he did not pass out and die there all by himself. Not very comforting. Great now James, the love of my life and the provider of our family has brain damage and will for sure get cancer someday. Dang paint!!! So my mom and I are driving around trying to find a hotel when I get a call from P.C. saying that dangerous chemical that caused birth defects was not in the newer paints so I should be okay to go home if the smell is not bad. whew! But she told us to never use oil based paint and I vowed to never use it again.

It has been a week since the incident and we have all made a full recovery. P.C. continues to follow up with us. Kathy has been awesome! We might have her over for dinner this week- if the fumes are gone of course. We only had one small scare and called her again when James decided to use Tray's toothbrush to clean the paint sprayer out with paint thinner. Why would he use our child's toothbrush? Then we found it on the floor later that night with Tray's toys. AHHHH! Yeah, yet another freak out moment. P.C. walked us through that one. Thanks again Kathy! Tray survived, the baby to my knowledge is fine and has not been harmed by my blood or by paint fumes, and my husband is alive and well but with a few less brain cells. A happy ending to a horrific week but my rooms are still not done.............

5 comments:

cheeks said...

oh my goodness kristina! WHAT A WEEK! i think i would be panicking too! i'm glad you guys are all ok...i never knew the concerns with oil based paint. sounds like it shouldn't even be on the market! that's scary! poor james too...how did he even make it to his parent's house alive?!?

i LOVE your preg pics! you are so cute...all belly! mine goes straight to my face and feet, so you are really in good shape! hang in there!

Elizabeth Larson said...

OH My Kristina! First of all, you should have come straight HERE! I would have made you lay down in our extra bedroom (hey, you would get a queen size all to yourself!) and taken Tray for you. I can't even believe all that happened to you during the last week. I wish I had known, I would have at least made you dinner or something. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Hang in there!!

A said...

HOw did I not see this post??? Kind of an important one!! I'm so sorry for your chaos (I know it was like a month ago now) but I feel like a bad friend for never even mentioning it. How scary! Glad it all went okay and Hello! I have an empty basement with a spare bedroom also!

Meg said...

Oh my gosh I just got really stressed out reading your post!! I am so sorry, that sounds horrible. I hope James is ok and I am SO happy you and Tray are alright. Thank heavens for PC.

P.S. you look amazing in your pics!

Emily J. said...

Sounds like you need a REAL break. Glad everyone is okay and you gotta love PC. They are lifesavers. We have made many calls too.